Remember those days when MTV only televised exactly what it was meant for: music? We are talking about the decade when Madonna first dropped a hit, and Apple first came to the scene. Introducing the 1980’s. What better place to discuss this fascinating decade than an 80s inspired bar. The Basement is here to inform you of the fun facts that came with the 80’s. Come visit today near Tampa. We offer fun things to do in Tampa at night.
30 Years Ago…
Do you fondly remember your Cabbage Patch doll as the best birthday present you ever got? What about the first time you caught an episode of The Golden Girls? If any of this sounds familiar, chances are you still hold a candle for the 1980s. Trust us. You are not alone.
The 80’s were a booming era for everything from technology to toys. This decade is still heralded by those who grew up in this seminal decade as one of the trendsetting times in recent memory. If you are eager to take a trip down memory lane, check out these 30 facts that are sure to fill you with a fond sense of nostalgia.
Random Nostalgic Facts of the 1980’s
- A billion people tuned in to see Prince Charles and Lady Diana get married. Prince Harry seems to be following his mother’s footsteps.
- The first cell phone weighed two pounds. Compare that to an iPhone.
- In 1984, 20,000 counterfeit Cabbage Patch dolls were sold.
- Also in 1894, you did not need to buckle up while riding in a car.
- A candy bar only cost 25 cents.
- The most popular song was “Physical” by Olivia Newton-John.
- Although Olivia had the most popular song, the king of pop himself, Michael Jackson was the most popular artist.
- Top Gun won an Academy Award.
- MTV first hit the air in 1981, as well as 24-hour news.
- Houses were typically sold for under $100k.
- Cable television only had three channels.
- Remember the show Dallas? 83 million people tuned in to find out who shot J.R. Ewing.
- Ronald Reagan made headline fir misquoting John Adams.
- Gold reached a record high of $850 per ounce.
- Post It Notes were released.
- The wreck of the Titanic was discovered.
- “Thriller” was released by Michael Jackson.
- Sally Ride was the first woman in space.
- The McNugget was born
- “Say hello to my little friend.”
Come Visit Us Today
We can sit around and talk about the 1980’s all day. Come on down, have a drink, get drunk, and belch a few tunes with a handful of other people who are just as passionate about the decade as you are. 80’s Karaoke songs are a fun way to let loose and make a fool of yourself. But it’s okay because everyone else will be doing it too! Near Tampa, The Basement has you covered! Call us today for more information. Fun things to do in Tampa at night is only at The Basement. Think of us when you are looking for fun things to do in Tampa at night.